Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day 3: Favorite Quote

This one was hard, which will explain why I'm a couple days late. Not really. But there are so many good quotes to choose from. Bible quotes, famous authors, Presidents, and philosophers almost made the list. But here it is:

"Show me your friends, and I will show you your future"

My best friend in ninth grade  (who I'm friends to this day) told me that her mother would say this to her all the time (hi Jodi).
Jodi and I

I'm finding that the people I hang around even in my adulthood still shape and mold the person that I am. Old people say that "Birds of a feather flock together" and this is so true. Even though I feel that I am too old to be penetrated by the peer pressure that plagued me in my high school days, I have learned that failure, like success, is contagious. The people we choose to associate ourselves with is so important to our futures.

I was talking to a friend the other day and she was telling me about a mutual friend of ours that had been arrested. Apparently the young man was sitting in a car while his "friends" decided to rob a convenience store and now his future is in jeopardy. This type of story is all but uncommon.

But on the contrary, in college I had the opportunity and privilege to meet 5 other young ladies along with my sister that were going hard after God and pursuing their degrees at the same time. This had an amazing effect on me. I too began to pursue spiritual and collegiate success. I'm proud to say that these and many of my other friends have gone on to live abroad, graduate, pursue higher education, get married, travel, become ministers, start businesses, get married, start families, and be great!
Virtuous 7

My besties!

I did it too!

I don't believe that my friends are perfect and I'm not saying that you can't hang around people that are on a different path that you. I'm simply saying that your closest friends should be the people that bring you up and push you to the next level. You should also be that friend to someone else.  Take some time today and look at your friends. Sometimes part of growing includes ending some friendships that are not beneficial.

Show me your friends and I'll show you your future. From this seat, my future looks pretty bright!


Yo's Truly

Yolanda

No comments:

Post a Comment